Aidpage is a
support network.
Ask for help
Offer help
Sign up now
Talking about:
12 posts
16,027 visits

West Virginia Low Income Energy Assistance Program

friendshelpingfriends started this conversation

Low Income Energy Assistance Program - (LIEAP)

LIEAP will officially open for general intake on Monday, December 3rd, and close at the end of the day on Friday, December 14th. Applications may be obtained at local DHHR offices, Community Action agencies, or senior centers operated by an Area Agency on Aging. The online application will also be available on the DHHR website at In situations where a heating emergency exists, applicants must be seen by a DHHR Worker. Any applications not postmarked by December 14th will be denied.

The Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) assists eligible households with the cost of home heating through direct cash payments or payments to utility companies on their behalf. A crisis component is available for households without resources facing the loss of a heating source. Eligibility for both program components is based on a combination of factors, including income, type of heating payment, and total heating costs.

LIEAP is funded entirely by a federal block grant. The program's duration and the amount of the payment is dependent on the amount of the grant. A portion of the grant is transferred to the Office of Economic Opportunity for the Weatherization Program. Applicants for LIEAP may be referred to Weatherization for additional assistance.

The Division of Family Assistance (DFA) operates LIEAP in each of the DHHR field offices for a short time each winter, usually beginning with a mail-out to targeted households. In addition, DFA contracts with the Community Action network and with regional Agency on Aging offices to perform outreach and accept LIEAP applications at their local sites.

View the 2007 LIEAP Fact Sheet below for further information, including income guidelines. If you have questions, please contact your local County Office.

Click here to add your comment...
jodyraven   in reply to friendshelpingfriends
Yes this program is a great one. It has helped me alot. And its not alot of trouble to get. They dont make you jump thru hoops or anything.
Talk to jodyraven
Does anyone know about LIHEAP/DHHR giving everyone that got LIHEAP this year an extra 75 dols on their electric bills?? Everyone i know has received the extra 75 EXCEPT me. And i recieved the emergency LIHEAP this year so i dont know why i havent got it. If anyone knows any info i would appreciate it. Thanks
Talk to jodyraven
I live in mcdowell county wv. I have 3 small kids and my power has been turned off I talked to DHHR and they said there is nothing they can do. Is that true and if it is what can I do?
Talk to 7_of_swords
I was wondering is it legal for the gas company to take you off a budget plan due to getting LEAP until that money is gone then put you back on the Budget program
Talk to short7734
I lost my job and im still waiting on having unemployment benifits approved i have no money and my electric bill is 130 and water bill is 70 and they are both about to be shut off is there any way i can get some help??
Talk to needssomehelp
My friend is living in Preston Co Wv and is trying to get Electric turned on in her name. However she has just had major surgery and has not been working since early May and will not return until sometime in July. She needs around $650.00 to have power turned on. She has been there since around Easter and has not had power. Please can someone help me?
Talk to Jaideinwv
Talk to fedupwithWV

I need help paying my power bill that is $500 and is getting readyto get cut off. if there is anyone out there that would like to help me out I would greatly apperactie it, I've got 2 kids and it's starting to get hot here and I could really use the help

Talk to Feelinfroggy

Contact your local Legal Aid office, or call 304-343-4481.

Talk to steve11879
 in response to cshreve...   

Hi Friend.....

You might want to try this:

West Virginia Utility Assistance Program:

  • Provides a grant directly to your utility account
  • Available to customers who may not be eligible for LIHEAP
  • Income Guidelines: at or below 150 percent of the Federal Poverty Income Guidelines

Am I eligible?

  • Use our Income Calculator to find out if you qualify based on income. Customers who are eligible for Dollar Energy Fund’s West Virginia Utility Assistance Program will have gross (before tax) income that is between 0 percent and 150 percent of the Federal Poverty Income Guidelines.
  • Have you made a sincere effort to pay your utility bills? To be eligible, you must have paid at least $100 toward your utility bill in the 90 days prior to applying.  If the applicant is 62 years of age or older, a reduced payment of $75 dollars within the last 90 days is acceptable.
  • Are you seeking assistance with one of Dollar Energy Fund’s partnering utility companies? Click here for a list of our eligible companies.
  • Must be a resident of West Virginia.

How To Apply

Step 1

You must meet all guidelines to be eligible to receive a grant. Click here to review our eligibility guidelines.

Prior to applying for the West Virginia Utility Assistance Program, all applicants must have previously applied for all open and available state and federal programs.  These programs include, but are not limited to, LIEAP, E-LIEAP and Special Reduced Residential Rate Service.

Step 2

Contact nearest Community-Based Organization. Please be aware that hours vary for each organization. Click here to use our Agency Finder to locate all CBOs in your area.

Step 3

Bring all necessary information to your appointment at the CBO. You will need:

  • Valid government issued identification card
  • A copy of your most recent utility bill, including your utility account number
  • Proof of all payments made in the last 90 days
  • Proof of income for yourself and everyone in your household
  • Active termination notice or broken agreement letter or proof his/her utility service is disconnected
  • Names of everyone in your household
  • Birthdates of everyone in your household
  • Social Security Numbers for everyone in your household

Step 4

Complete the application with the CBO intake worker. Once the application is complete, the CBO will submit the application to Dollar Energy Fund.

Step 5

You will receive written notification by mail of your grant decision. If you are awarded a grant, the money will be applied directly to your utility account.

Step 6

Continue to make regular utility payments. A Dollar Energy Fund grant is not a substitute for your regular monthly payment.

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Is there any help in WV to get my gas restored.  I owe a pass due amount and can't get it turned back on until it is paid in full.  And I don't have the money and have two children and it is starting to get cold.  Please help with information!


Thank yo

Talk to cshreve